After riding the best 109km of your life, you’re about to cross the finish line. You can hear the crowds roaring. You can feel your chest swell with pride. You see the Jetline Action Photo photographers line up to take that winning shot. WHAT NOW?
Negotiate the Cycle Tour Finish Line (and beyond) like a pro
Approaching the finish line:
- Keep a straight line and don’t swerve around. The last thing you want is a finish line crash.
- If your RaceTec chip is strapped around your ankle, try to keep that foot closest to the ground when you cross the blue timing mat.
- Smile for the finish line photographers. You’ve just finished a 109km ride, so take the moment to bask in your own awesomeness.
- Do Not use your cell phone or any other device to capture yourself crossing the finish line! Not only will it cause you to slow down, but it poses a danger to cyclists around you.
Crossing the finish line:
- You may notice two sets of timing mats at the finish line: the check mats that are at the finish line and back-up mats a few metres further. The back-up mats are in place to capture your time in the unlikely event that it doesn’t read when you cross the finish line.
- There is a medic at the finish line in case of emergency.
Once you’ve crossed the finish line
- DON’T STOP! Simply continue cycling until you reach the medals tables approx. 300m further.
- There is a medic at the medals’ tent, in case of emergency.
- Medal in hand, continue another 70m until you reach Coke’s refreshment table, where you can help yourself to a post-race drink.
- Important note 1: If you qualify for a special 10 Year or 21 Year medal (you will be notified of this), make your way to the Special Medals tent on the right, just after collecting your 2014 finisher’s medal.
- Important note 2: If you finished the 55km Cape Argus Pick n Pay Momentum MTB Challenge as well as the Cycle Tour, you qualify for a combo medal. This medal will be posted to you and will not be available at the Cycle Tour finish line.
- After about 40m, you will have the choice to turn left towards the bike park and hospitality area, or right towards the quick exit, which will take you out of the finish zone.
- When you get to this point, we encourage you to turn left, book your bicycle into the bike park, make your way to the hospitality area.
- If you are part of a specific group and have an invitation, enter the Hospitality Village.
You have reached the Cycle Tour Hospitality Zone
- Chill out in the festive Cycle Tour Hospitality Marquee.
- There will be a band playing and it’s the perfect spot to kick back with family and friends and share your race day memories.
- The Info tent is next to the Hospitality Marquee (before the entrance into the Hospitality Village), and the friendly team working there can help you with:
- whether a friend or family member is still on the route, according to the person’s mat data
- updates on friends or family who received medical treatment
- lost & found
Finish Line Basic Layout