Helderberg Stroke Support Group
Category: Health, Social Services
Who are you riding for?
The Helderberg Stroke Support Group (HSSG) has been assisting stroke survivors and their families in the Helderberg Basin since 1993.
The organization is registered as a Non Profit Organization and has been approved as a public benefit organization.
The main focus of the Helderberg Stroke Support Group is on:
- Rehabilitation is recognized as important in helping stroke survivors achieve their highest levels of functional independence and best quality of life.
- Six sub-groups have been formed in the Helderberg Basin to provide weekly group therapy for stroke survivors. These subgroups go a little way towards supplying much-needed rehabilitation for many underprivileged members of the community.
- Weekly meetings are held in Macassar; Lwandle /Nomzamo; Sir Lowry’s Pass Village and the Strand. These groups offer exercises, cognitive and perceptual stimulation, speech therapy, psychological counseling, lectures on topics related to stroke and social activities.
- All rehabilitation services offered are free of charge.
- This is done by rehabilitation therapists with a special interest and experience in stroke rehabilitation and is directed at home based carers, nursing staff, volunteers and stroke survivors themselves who are interested in assisting others in their communities.
- This project is an investment in the future care of stroke survivors in the Helderberg Basin.
- Informative lectures on stroke and risk factors are given regularly to the general public.
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure) is recognized as the major risk factor for stroke. Community outreaches are held in shopping malls and other venues where information pamphlets on stroke and free blood pressure testing are offered.
- Monthly blood pressure testing is done at all the HSSG sub-groups.
Besides assisting stroke survivors achieve higher rehabilitation outcome levels, the interaction and support that they receive from their fellow “strokies” plays a major role in the alleviation of depression after a stroke.
Cost of entry: R1500 (includes donation to HSSG)
Anyone interested in cycling for us can contact Loma (office administrator):
THANK YOU FOR SUPPORTING HSSG!